Creamy Vegetable Risotto
Risotto is a classic, but making it the ‘right’ way may be something not a lot of people know. Try this method and cook your risotto like a Michelin star chef!
1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cups (1 liter/ 35 oz) vegetable stock
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
250g chestnut mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
¼ cup (60 ml) white wine
1 cup dry white rice
2 tsp dried herbs
salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
juice of ½ lemon
1. Mince the garlic, finely chop the onion and chop the mushrooms, bell pepper and zucchini into bites sized pieces.
2. Heat the vegetable stock in a small sauce pan. When it boils put on low heat and don’t turn off while you’re making the risotto.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper and zucchini and cook for 3 minutes while stirring regularly.
4. Add wine and cook for a few minutes until it evaporates.
5. Add rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add about ½ cup of vegetable stock at a time, stirring constantly and until all the vegetable stock is gone. (The goal is that the rice and veg cook on the steam, rather than boil in the stock). This should take about 15 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and leave it to sit with lid on for a few minutes. Season with mixed herbs, salt and pepper and add nutritional yeast and mix. Add lemon juice and enjoy!
Serve with toasted bread and hummus on the side. A glass of white wine goes nicely with this dish as well.
Serves: 4, per 1 serving: cals: 332kcal | fat: 4.21g | carbs: 62.41g | prot: 7.65g