Best Vegan Bean Stew Recipe
This combination of spices, legumes and earthy vegetables makes the ultimate comforting bean stew. After a long long time of experimenting, I have come up with this vegan bean stew recipe and I am so proud of it! I hope you will like it as much as I do.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1 small can (240g) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can (240g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup barley, rinsed and soaked for 1 hour
½ tsp each ground: coriander, cumin, turmeric
2 tsp dried herbs
1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
1 bay leaf
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Juice of ½ lemon
1. Soak pearl barley at least 1 hour before starting the recipe. Alternatively, cook in salted water for 15 minutes and drain.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add garlic and bell pepper and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
3. Add carrots, potatoes and celery and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add dried herbs, coriander, cumin, turmeric, sweet paprika powder, bay leaf, red kidney beans, chickpeas and pearl barley along with 3 cups of vegetable broth. When it starts boiling, put on low-medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Finally, add nutritional yeast and lemon juice, mix well and cook for 1 more minute.
Serve with fresh parsley and toasted bread and vegan butter on the side.
Per 1 serving: cals: 354kcal | fat: 6.66g | carbs: 64.98g | prot: 10.59g